Monday, January 17, 2011

National v. State Power - Little Rock

In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, I am posting a video clip related to the Civil Rights Movement. This clip from the PBS documentary "Eyes on the Prize" describes the Federal-State conflict arising out of attempts to enforce the decision of Brown v. Brd. of Education in Little Rock, AR.  The clip is a bit long (9:57), but I think it is important for students to see.  Not only are students generally unaware of the potential for Federal-State conflict, but I find that nearly all of them are entirely unaware of this event in American history.  I consider this video to be a part of the work to assist students in becoming educated and engaged citizens - something that I believe is an important part of BLAW courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment