Monday, October 21, 2013

More "Seeing is not Believing"

I guess I am like most people in that intellectually I realize that photographs and videos that we see in mass media campaigns or in entertainment media are altered to make the people look "better," or less flawed. Yet, emotionally, I am offended by this. I have previously written about enhanced visual marketing as being deceptive, perhaps unlawfully so. I have written about how the ease with which videos may now be edited calls into question the evidentiary value of any video evidence.  I imagine the same goes for photographic evidence.

This article provides another example of the ease with which images in a video can be altered to show us something other than what really existed.

Aren't there deleterious social effects? Isn't there a need for regulation, here?

No comments:

Post a Comment